[OPLINLIST] State Library of Ohio recipient of Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) Connecting to Collections Bookshelf

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at sloma.state.oh.us
Mon Jun 29 10:08:56 EDT 2009

Please excuse multiple postings...

The State Library of Ohio is pleased to announce that it has been
selected to receive the IMLS Connecting to Collections Bookshelf
<http://www.imls.gov/collections/bookshelf/index.htm> . Connecting to
Collections <http://www.imls.gov/collections/>  is a national initiative
to raise public awareness of the importance of caring for our treasures,
and to underscore the fact that these collections are essential to the
American story. The Bookshelf is a collection of resources chosen by
conservation and preservation experts to help libraries and museums care
for their collections.

The State Library of Ohio is one of 907 museums, libraries, and archives
to be selected. This was the third and final installment of the
Bookshelf program, which has distributed 2,751 sets of books, online
resources, and a user's guide to institutions in every part of the
country. "The Connecting to Collections Bookshelf will become part of
the State Library's reference collection.  As such, it will be available
not only to those within the State Library for preservation of our
collection, but also to anyone within the state who wishes to use the
Bookshelf," said State Librarian Jo Budler. "The State Library has a
network of library development consultants who will use the collection
and refer librarians to it when working with individual libraries.
Additionally, consultants work together to offer workshops to public
libraries and libraries with special collection needs."

The Bookshelf comprises resources for collections typically found in art
or history museums and in libraries' special collections, with an added
selection of texts for living collections. It is a component of
Connecting to Collections: A Call to Action, the strategic initiative by
IMLS to address the challenges described in A Public Trust at Risk: The
Heritage Health Index Report on the State of America's Collections, an
IMLS-funded study conducted by Heritage Preservation.

The 24 Ohio institutions receiving the Bookshelf in 2009 join the 58
Ohio institutions who received the award in either round one or two. For
the State Library, receipt of the Connecting to Collections Bookshelf
will assist conservation activities at the Library itself and will
complement activities associated with the Connecting to Collections
Planning grant awarded to the State Library, in partnership with the
Ohio Historical Society, in February of this year.

"When IMLS and our partners began the journey to help save America's
collections three years ago, we knew that money and appropriate
resources would prove major barriers between many of our nation's
collecting institutions and proper collections care," said Dr.
Anne-Imelda Radice, Director of IMLS. "With the Connecting to
Collections Bookshelf initiative, we were able to offer these
institutions tools to help them preserve and conserve their treasures
for future generations. We commend them for answering this call to
action."

The IMLS Bookshelf was made possible by a cooperative agreement with the
American Association for State and Local History (AASLH) with support
from the Getty Foundation, the Henry Luce Foundation, and the Samuel H.
Kress Foundation.

For more information contact email <mailto:mlodge at sloma.state.oh.us>
Missy Lodge.

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney