[OPLINLIST] Welcome to Cloud City: Online Software for Library Staff and Users - Two Locations!

SWON Libraries info at swonlibraries.org
Mon Jun 29 14:11:08 EDT 2009

*This announcement has been posted to several lists.  Our apologies for
any duplication.
*

    Welcome to Cloud City: Online Software for Library Staff and Users

      Dates, Times, & Locations

Date: Wednesday, July 15th, 2009
Time 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: SWON Libraries Office
Register: http://www.swonlibraries.org/viewevent?id=1655

AND

Date: Tuesday, July 28th, 2009
Time 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Location: Clark County Public Library - Main Library
Register: http://www.swonlibraries.org/viewevent?id=1660

      Speaker(s)

Glen Horton <http://www.swonlibraries.org/glen> has served as the
Technology Coordinator for the SWON Libraries organization since 1999.
His duties require him to have experience in a wide range of
technologies. He is responsible for providing technology assistance,
technology training, and facilitating shared projects within the SWON
Libraries membership.

      Description

The availability of high-speed and always-on Internet access has led to
software moving from our hard drives to the Internet "cloud." Even our
data is moving online--allowing us to get work done no matter what
computer (or mobile device) we use.

Libraries of all sizes can benefit from this /software as a service/.
Staff can work from any computer (inside or outside the library) and
users can access many services on public computers without the need for
locally installed software. Email, calendars, word processing, storage,
and even library catalogs are now available in the cloud and many of
these services are *free*.

Join us for an overview of cloud computing and learn how your library
can benefit from the many services available. Glen will also discuss the
pros and cons of trusting your data to the cloud and will share tips for
protecting your data. Attendees will get hands-on "play time" with many
of these services.

      Meal

Snacks will be provided.

      Audience

Everyone can benefit from this workshop. Most of these tools are easy to
use and available to everyone.

      Registration

The deadline to register is Friday, July 10th, 2009

    * *Contributing Member of SWON Libraries*
      $35
    * *Friend of SWON Libraries*
      $35 **
      <http://www.swonlibraries.org/register?a=formreg&id=1655&rate=cost3&sponsor=SouthWest%20Ohio%20and%20Neighboring%20Libraries&addattendee=Y>
    * *Contributing Member of NEO-RLS, NORWELD, or SERLS*
      $35 **
      <http://www.swonlibraries.org/register?a=formreg&id=1655&rate=cost2&sponsor=SouthWest%20Ohio%20and%20Neighboring%20Libraries&addattendee=Y>
    * *Other*
      $80 **