[OPLINLIST] Floating Collections

Robin Nesbitt RNESBITT at columbuslibrary.org
Mon Mar 2 14:19:11 EST 2009

Columbus Metro currently floats all materials (except Ref, Mags, News,
Scores and Maps) among 20 branches and our Main Library.  We started in
Aug. 2007.  If you need more info, be glad to chat offline.
RN

Robin Nesbitt
Technical Services Director
Columbus Metropolitan Library
rnesbitt at columbuslibrary.org
614-479-3066
PBefore printing this e-mail, please determine if it is truly
necessary

>>> "Charlie Hansen" <chansen at pcdl.org> 3/2/2009 2:14 PM >>>

Has anyone in systems made up of multiple locations experimented with
floating collections (items have no fixed ownership location – just stay
where they are requested/checked in)?  We are currently considering
using such a system for our new book collection.  We have seven
locations and currently rotate new materials from branch to branch every
2-3 months.

Any responses listing pros and cons would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Charlie Hansen, Adult Services Coordinator
Perry County District Library
117 South Jackson Street
New Lexington, OH 43764
740-342-4194 ext. 12