[OPLINLIST] handouts for computer classes

Nicholas Slone gawtrain at oplin.org
Wed Mar 4 19:45:21 EST 2009

Joe Knueven wrote:
> Good afternoon.  My apologies for the cross posting.
>
> Does anybody have handouts/outlines for public computer classes that you
> would be willing to share?
>
> Also, if you are willing to share, would you mind if a edited the
> handout slightly for Germantown?  (I would of course acknowledge the
> author, their organization and the fact that they generously shared the
> material with us)
>
> We have the mobile lab coming here soon, and I am looking for ways to
> mix it up a bit from previous years.
>
> Thank you in advance to anybody who is willing to share.
>
> Have a good day.
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,

Here are some materials I have used in the past for computer classes.  I
divided it into 3 classes that would get absolute beginners off to a
good start.

For the first class, Intro to Computers, I found this wonderful tutorial
maintained by the BBC.  It's a flash/browser based process that a
beginner could even complete on their own (though I would recommend
guiding them through it).  Here's the URL:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/webwise/abbeg/abbeg.shtml

One minor downside is the slight difference in terminology because it's
British English.  For instance, one of the keyboard exercises will ask
you to hit the symbol for "pound" which is obviously a dollar sign on
our keyboards, and the "Enter" key is referred to as "Return."
Otherwise, it's a nice introduction.  I also had some handouts, which
I'll attach.

For Intro to the Internet and Intro to Email, I created powerpoint
presentations from some wonderful material I obtained from Jay Burton at
the State Library of Ohio, with some slight modifications.   I recommend
alternating between the presentation and demonstrating the concepts.  I
tried to make it as one-size-fits-all as possible (I was working with
Windows 2000).  I have attached the ppt files.

Good luck!  I'm glad to see this pop up on the list.  I had a lot of
trouble finding good tools for "absolute" beginners when I got started,
so it'll be interesting to see other suggestions....

If you want to see long term adoption of the skills, I'd lecture them a
bit about buying a computer and getting internet access at home (if they
can afford it).  I realize this sometimes conflicts with the
socioeconomic conditions facing many of your potential students, but
like any language or skill set, it's just so difficult to retain
anything you're not immersed in.....

Hope this helps!

--
Sincerely,