[OPLINLIST] Presenters for Manga and Anime Clubs in Ohio

RoseMary Honnold rhonnold at gmail.com
Fri May 15 12:53:59 EDT 2009

The Animanga Club at Coshocton Public Library celebrated its third
anniversary in April.  Much of the club's success is due to two very
knowledgeable and helpful presenters that I have mentioned a couple times
over the years.  I have read the question several times from other
librarians, what can we do at our meetings besides watch anime?, and I want
to send a whole list of possibilities because of the wide range of
activities we have done at our meetings with the help of these presenters!
So, I want to send out their  names and contact information one more time to
share a great resource right here in Ohio.

Russell Merritt banshuwa at yahoo.com from Newark, OH
Russell is the reason we started a club.  After a series of his manga
drawing classes, the teens asked to start a club.  Russell is an
accomplished artist and can teach introductory or advanced manga drawing and
cartooning.  He has even customized lessons for particular problem areas our
teens had with developing backgrounds, costumes, drawing hands, and more.
He has several published graphic novels, been featured in art exhibits, and
has a lot of teaching experience in libraries and at Central Ohio Technical
College.  Russell also can teach Japanese language lessons.  My teens have
always said the ultimate would be to watch anime in Japanese and understand
the dialog without subtitles!

Nate Malenke nmalenke at gmail.com from Newcomerstown, OH
Nate was my assistant at the Coshocton Public Library for over a year, and
is carrying on the programs until a new young adult librarian is in place.
Nate lived in a village in Japan for three years participating in the JET
(Japanese Exchange Teacher) program.  At Nate's first visit to our club
during a visit home from Japan, he shared what living in Japan was like,
what the school was like, and taught the teens how to write their names in
Japanese.  After returning home, he started assisting me with teen programs,
including the Animanga Club where he was often the featured presenter.  He
taught us Japanese language lessons, Japanese calligraphy (with authentic
ink blocks and rice paper), origami, and how to play Go.  He helps the teens
pronounce Japanese words correctly and adds bits of information about the
Japanese culture during our meetings.

Both of these presenters enjoy sharing their talents and knowledge with
other libraries and teens interested in the Japanese culture and the art of
manga and anime.  Their rates are reasonable.  Please keep them in mind when
planning activities for your clubs!

RoseMary Honnold, Editor in Chief
Voice of Youth Advocates
4501 Forbes Blvd.