[OPLINLIST] Cost Cutting Questions

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Tue May 19 11:47:47 EDT 2009

Hello all:
I have directed my staff to come up with creative and visionary cost-cutting
strategies, and they have not let me down. But now we are discussing the ILL
services and how the new charges will impact our library. So, I have
questions:

   - Is participation in M.O.R.E. mandatory?
   - Do other libraries charge for ILL requests. If so, how much?
   - Are any libraries thinking of adjusting their U.S. Cargo delivery
   schedule?
   - Are any of you thinking of ways you can pass the cost of delivery on to
   the users?

We are certainly facing challenging times, in my opinion, the most
challenging times in the history of our library system. It is more evident
now than ever before that we are going to have to operate Public Libraries
differently now that our funding formula has changed. We are no longer
funded by anyone who "works" in Ohio. Now we are funded by anyone
who "buys" in Ohio -- and unfortunately, for those of us near Indiana, we
see our citizens going over the border to shop. But, we consistently inform
them, advise them, plead with them to "shop in Ohio".

That being said, the weather is beautiful up here in NW Ohio this week. We
take comfort in the warmth of the sun and know that we are all strong and we
will weather this storm -- if we keep the faith!

Thanks in advance for your help.
Susan
 *****************************
Susan Hill Pieper