[OPLINLIST] Central Library Consortium Redesigns Photohio

Carol Roddy croddy at clcohio.org
Wed Nov 25 08:51:54 EST 2009

The CLC has launched a newly designed Photohio, their digital collection.  We did this the same time we migrated to Polaris Library system. In addition to the dedicated Web site, images are available inside our PAC through Polaris Fusion.  All our libraries have access to Fusion, Photohio and Content DM for their digitization projects.

Carol
For Immediate Release:
Libraries Bring Priceless Digital Images to the Public

Lithopolis, Ohio. November 20, 2009.

In their ongoing efforts to work together to bring the very best in electronic services to the public, the libraries of the Central (Ohio) Library Consortium (CLC) are excited to unveil the redesign of the digital collection site, Photohio, at www.photohio.org<http://www.photohio.org>.    This site is a repository of digitized historic images from the collections of several Central Ohio Libraries and Historical Societies.  Photohio contains irreplaceable collections of newspaper photo archives; yearbooks; local historical publications and genealogical records; historical and biographical sketches available nowhere else on the World Wide Web.

Current collections include: Columbus Citizen Journal and Columbus Citizen Newspapers; Grandview Heights High School Yearbooks; Marysville High School Yearbooks; History of Union County, Ohio, Its People, Industries and Institutions; Marysville Historic City Directories, Union County Historic Postcard Collection; and VR3 Cruise Book (1964) Naval Air Transport Squadron Three.

Photohio presents the material in a keyword searchable database.   Many of the text documents in our collections have been digitized and the full text can be searched as well.

Photohio was born out of a grant project managed by the Grandview Heights Public Library and was funded in part by an LSTA grant and local library funds.   The project headquarters moved to the Central (Ohio) Library Consortium (CLC), and the work on adding collections and information to the Photohio.org database continues.    Currently two of the eight CLC libraries have contributed digitized works to Photohio with other CLC libraries scheduled to contribute collections in the future.

Permission to reproduce any content from the Photohio site is possible by requesting permission from the copyright contacts listed on each collection's homepage.

The Central Library Consortium (CLC) was created by the member libraries to achieve better, more cost effective services through cooperation and to establish, maintain, and operate a computerized library network in order to promote resource sharing among member libraries and to increase access to information for their patrons. The member libraries are the Alexandria Public Library, Fairfield County District Library, Grandview Heights Public Library, Marysville Public Library, Pickaway County District Public Library, Pickerington Public Library, Plain City Public Library, and Wagnalls Memorial Library. For more information about the CLC visit www.clcohio.org<http://www.clcohio.org>.
Contact:
Carol Lynn Roddy, Director
122 East Columbus Street
Box 269