[OPLINLIST] State Library of Ohio

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at sloma.state.oh.us
Mon Nov 30 10:44:23 EST 2009

Please excuse multiple postings...

Since 2001, the State Library budget has suffered severe cuts and
staffing has been reduced 45%, from 130 to 72.  Most of this reduction
has been achieved through attrition but this is no longer possible. With
the latest budget reduction, it has become necessary to once again
review our goals and prioritize our objectives.

Ohio is fortunate to have many library organizations providing
opportunities for continuing education (CE) for staff working in all
types of libraries. In fact, many of these organizations, whose sole
purpose is to provide CE to the Ohio library community, depend on income
generated through these services. In order to reduce duplication, yet
continue to provide programs and services unique to the State Library,
the continuing education staff position and program have been
eliminated.

The State Library will carry on collaborations with CE partners for
workshops and trainings. Individuals within programs at the State
Library will continue to offer specialized training, e.g. content
specific services or how to use government documents for research. In
addition, online courses via WebJunction Ohio service will be available
at no cost through June 30, 2010.

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Marketing & Communications Director

274 E. 1st Avenue