[OPLINLIST] Use of Paypal by libraries in SEO and elsewhere

Mohamed Ragheb mohamed.ragheb at wadsworthlibrary.com
Thu Sep 10 10:29:24 EDT 2009

Hi Marsha,

We started using paypal last spring and it's be working wonderful for us and
it's used a lot , we started doing that at the same time we switched to self
check using touch screen monitors. You can do this different ways but it all
depends if it worth it or not as each way will include some costs.. Survey
will be a good thing to get feedback from patrons to judge this part.

Do you use the Website Standard and have your circulation staff enter the
patrons information at the circulation desk?  Or do patrons only pay from
their home or library public access computers?  How may use Website Payments
Pro?

We have patron do that themselves using the touch screen monitors as it's
completely self check. Staff members are can't/not allowed doing that at
their computers.

Patrons also can pay online from home or inside the library, anyone can pay
online after successful login to their account.

Do you also use a USB mini magnetic Stripe reader?

Yes we do.

How long did it take your circulation staff to get used to using the new
procedures?

I setup a self check station in the staff lounge room and went through few
session of training to cover all the circ staff, also I left it for around a
week so staff can try to use it and ask any questions before we went live.

Do you have a separate checking account to deposit your Pay Pal deposits or
do you use the library's regular checking account?

We use the same account, paypal is pretty secure.

How much extra work was setting this up for the Fiscal Officer?

I didn't do that part myself but I believe it wasn't a lot of work.

I hope that helps

Thanks

Mohamed A. Ragheb, M.TEC, M.C.P.
Technology Manager