[OPLINLIST] letters to the editor

Marsha Wagner mwagner at canalfultonlibrary.org
Thu Sep 17 12:04:24 EDT 2009

You really don't need the teens to go into detail about the financial numbers for the library. Patron letters are more important for their personal experience content: "I come to the library x number of times a week." "I use the computers daily or I type my school reports at the library because I don't have a computer at home." The teens could state what the library means to them for programs, materials, etc. "the library is important to me because:_______" Teen could say they don't want the library to cut hours. The teens should end the letter with a simply statement asking support for the upcoming levy on the Nov. 3rd ballot. Don't just have each teen simply copy the same thing. Each person's experience should be different. One may love mysteries, another graphic novels or talk about early childhood experience. I came to story hour etc. I do not have any examples of teen letters but just general information. Contact your local paper about deadline and how many letters of a type they print. Some papers limit printing 2-3 letters a week on a particular issue and spread them out throughout the campaign. Others go for a consolidated election approach and group all election letters at one time. Feel free to call me if you have questions.

Marsha Wagner

Director
Canal Fulton Public Library
154 Market St. NE
Canal Fulton, OH 44708
330 854-4148; fax 330 8549520

"All that mankind has done, thought, gained or been; it is lying as in magic preservation in the pages of books." Thomas Carlyle