[OPLINLIST] Library card barcodes scanned into smart phones

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.org
Mon Jan 11 18:38:45 EST 2010

My thoughts, for what they're worth:

    * I also have a smartphone. This is a fabulous idea.  I will have to
      implement immediately :)
    * My husband has done a non-digital version of this idea for many
      years; he took all the barcodes from all of his store loyalty
      cards and copied them, and then pasted them all onto a single
      card.  He gets some funny looks, but other than that his compiled
      card has never been refused...even when he had certificates where
      a store loyalty card was required to redeem them.
    * Many countries already allow people to pay for things with their
      cell phones.  We're actually kind of behind on this in the U.S.,
      but it's coming.  The synthesis of the phone and one's wallet is
      inevitable.
    * Frankly, as a smartphone user, I would be annoyed to have someone
      ask me for additional ID.  The point of my phone is to put many
      parts of pieces of my life in one centralized location.  If the
      iPhone app version is good enough (with the PIN, granted) for the
      self-check, why wouldn't it be good enough for the circ desk?

Laura

--
*Laura Solomon, **MCIW, MLS*
/Library Services Manager/