[OPLINLIST] Looking for larger meeting space policy

Brian Eckel-Hare beckel-hare at libertycenterlibrary.org
Fri Jul 9 11:13:31 EDT 2010

Our library acquired a building next to our current space and began work on
the new building but had to hold off on its completion.  We now have a large
open concrete floor with storage at the back half.  In our small town this
is a rare commodity and has been used by various organizations to hold small
expos and the like.

More people are asking about the space and I am attempting to write a policy
for the space and a fee structure.  In our main building we have a complete
meeting room that is available to non-profits for free (with a deposit).  I
would like to use our unfinished space to generate more of a profit.  It
could possibly be used to throw larger events.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on:
1)  Whether or not using an unfinished (albeit safe) space is a liability?

2)  What should our fee structure be?  Based on booths for expos and hourly
rate for events?

3)  Are there certain kinds of events we should deny?  Weddings, etc?

4)  Should I advertise the space for larger events in an effort to raise
funds to complete the project?

If someone has a current policy for renting a larger open-floor space I
would love to see a copy.

Thanks for your time.

--
Brian Eckel-Hare