[OPLINLIST] repeatedly bad patrons

Marsha Wagner mwagner at canalfultonlibrary.org
Wed Jul 21 09:18:23 EDT 2010

I am going to reply with the experiences I have had with repeatedly bad patrons. At the Fairborn Library we had a patron who was mentally challenged who would check out books and either keep them or cut out pictures. Even though he paid for the books he damaged or kept staff were reluctant to continue to let him check out. As then the Branch Head I allowed him to check out when he had payed for all his damaged or lost books. Another patron returned a book on building dog kennels that had been urinated upon. We charged that patron for the cost of the book. If we had patrons who charged up their cards we did not let them use their family members cards but just their own. This is difficult if a parent wishes to use a child's card. If you do not know the individuals this can occur. But that is not the case here. My advise is to charge them for the cost of the materials they have ruined. Also require that each family member clear up their library cards in order to have them continue to check out. Just make sure that you follow the same guidelines for damaged materials with all patrons.

While I served as a director in the Toledo area, one of the other libraries had a patron who used actual bacon as a bookmark.
He was a senior who damaged large print books. The director charged the patron for the damaged books. Also that director
had books that animals had urinated on. Staff there immediately disposed of the books and the patrons were charged for the cost of the materials. The director had the unhappy job of discussing this with the patron who was in denial that the books were damaged. The director was firm about the fact that the books were damage beyond another person being able to use them.

While you and I may have great sympathy for the family and want them to have access to materials, they can use the materials in the library and hopefully not damage them. They are damaging materials that other people have paid for with library tax dollars. You may wish to allow them to purchase library discards if you regularly have library or friends book sales.
You have my sympathy as this is a difficult matter.

Marsha Wagner
Director
Canal Fulton Public Library
154 Market St. NE
Canal Fulton, OH 44708
330 854-4148; fax 330 8549520

"All that mankind has done, thought, gained or been; it is lying as in magic preservation in the pages of books." Thomas Carlyle