[OPLINLIST] IT companies

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Jun 9 14:54:59 EDT 2010

For my own clients, I custom build using Intel-branded components
(chassis, mainboard, extra NICs, CPU, RAID controller). Doing this
allows me to get exactly what I want:  no more, no less. The Intel
hardware has proven to be very reliable over the years. If you have a
tech with the time to review the components and enough expertise to be
comfortable in spec'ing it out and putting it together, custom-building
your own might serve you well.

On the flip side, I've used a few Dell servers in the past and have
liked how they were built and how they performed. Quality seems to be
good. Dell also gives you quite a bit of flexibility in your spec too. I
suppose if you're looking for a nearby brick-and-mortar shop, Dell's
mail-order could be considered a strike against. But on the other hand,
for warranty, Dell is likely to still be here in three years!

My 2 cents.

Chad

Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer

Level 9 Networks
740-548-8070 (voice)
866-214-6607 (fax)

--   Full LAN/WAN consulting services   --
-- Specialized in libraries and schools --