[OPLINLIST] Scanner Summary

Gerry Vogel gvogel at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Mon Jun 21 11:51:38 EDT 2010

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request for information on
scanners.  I heard from 18 libraries.

I attach a text file of responses with identifying information removed.

The libraries range in size from single location to multi-branch systems, in
smaller towns/cities and rural areas as well, in different parts of the
state.  Some scan much more than others.

Libraries are evenly split in using multi-function copiers vs. flatbed
scanners attached to workstations.  Three of the copiers save directly to
USB drives, the rest to server or email.  Most offer self service to the
public (fees charged might cover staff service).  There is certainly staff
and public training needed to make any scanning service work.  Many
libraries say scanning to OCR text is increasing in popularity but that not
all equipment does a good job with this.

One library (OK, it's Lorain Public!) uses cheap multi-purpose
scanner/copier/printers as standalone scanners only, outputting to USB
drives.

--
Gerry Vogel, MLIS
Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library

*any opinions expressed are my own and not (necessarily, or yet) those of
ALPL*

Join OHIO :  http://sites.google.com/a/avonlake.lib.oh.us/ohio/