[OPLINLIST] Internship Opportunities in SW Ohio

Kathy Stengel KSTENGEL at middletownlibrary.org
Mon Mar 15 15:23:55 EDT 2010

Internship Opportunities Available in SW Ohio

We have an unpaid opportunity in the children*s department at our
Middletown Library and our West Chester Library has unpaid opportunities
in the children*s area and in the young adult area.

MLIS practicum.

Interns can work on various aspects of librarianship in the children*s
area which may include the following:

·         Answer reference questions and provide readers advisory;
·         Provide assistance with the library catalog;
·         Assist customers with the Internet computers and early
literacy computers;
·         Assist with children*s and/or YA programs, especially the
summer reading program;
·         Learn how to respond to the needs of children and adults who
want to use library resources;
·         Learn how to effectively use the reference interview;
·         Gain a wider knowledge of children*s (or YA) literature,
databases, and web sites;
·         Develop and refine communication skills with children and
adults in a library setting; and
·         Learn how the community needs affect collection development.

The length of the internship and weekly work schedule are flexible.
Our supervisors can work with the intern on any special project needed
for a practicum.

Contact Kathy Stengel at kstengel at middletownlibrary for more
information and an Internship Interest Form.

Katherine A. Stengel, PHR
Human Resources Manager
Middletown Public Library
125 S. Broad Street