[OPLINLIST] Magazines

Betsy K. Eggers eggersbe at oplin.org
Tue May 25 10:17:09 EDT 2010

I recently took over as Director, and I'm curious about policies regarding
magazines.  We have rooms full of old issues of magazines.  Right now we
have a public magazine/periodical room.  We keep a year's worth  in this
room.  Then we move the magazines to a private magazine room that is still
in the building where we store them for five years (or less if it's a weekly
magazine).  Then we move them to another private room in a different
building where they stay for five to ten years.  Needless to say, we have a
lot of old magazines, too many if you ask me.  If the magazines are indexed
we generally keep them for five or ten years.  If they are not indexed we
generally keep them for one year.  We do, however have issues that go back
many years.  For example, we have Audubon from 1958.  We have issues of Life
that go back to 1950.  How far back do you keep magazines?  Are there
certain titles you keep forever?  What do you do with them once they have
been removed from the public periodical room?

Please reply off-list.

Thank you,

Betsy K. Eggers

Director