[OPLINLIST] Some Statistical Averages for Ohio Libraries

Jimmie Epling JEpling at wcpl.info
Wed Nov 17 10:13:11 EST 2010

In preparation for some long range planning  at Wayne County Public Library, I compared our 2009 statistics (available on the SLO site) with other libraries serving a population of similar size and those having a comparable operating revenue.

I generated a statewide average for various statistical characteristics for the purpose of comparison.  Some of you might be interested in these.  They are below.

Jimmie

Jimmie Epling
Director
Wayne County Public Library
304 N. Market Street / P.O. Box 1349
Wooster, OH 44691
O: 330.262.0986 / 330.804.4702  Ext. 7022
C: 606.923.1576
jepling at wcpl.info<mailto:jepling at wcpl.info>

Circulation
Print circulation as a % of total circulation: 58.59%
AV circulation as a % of total circulation (includes downloadable):  40.27%
Circulation  per capita: 16.82

Collection
Print collection as a % of the total collection:  76.66%
AV collection as a % of the total collection (includes downloadable):  15.48%
Items per capita: 4.70

Registered users as a % of population served: 65.42%

Revenue per capita: $60.76

Expenditures per capita: $59.73
Expenditures as a % of total operating revenue: 98.32%

Cost per circulation based on operating expenditures: $3.55
Cost per visitor based on operating expenditures: $8.04

Staff expenditures as a % of total operating expenditures: 68.23%

Collection expenditures as a % of total operating expenditures: 13.59%