[OPLINLIST] Snow closing policies

Anita Carroll carrolan at oplin.org
Tue Feb 8 13:41:31 EST 2011

Hello Ohio Libraries!

As you can imagine this winter has brought our library several instances
where we have had to decide if our library should open/close early and/or
close completely for the day.  Neither our county nor our local cities
reliably call snow emergencies, and we are urban enough not to be able to
close or delay based on the school's closing policy.  At this point, we
watch for what I call "benchmark" closings/delays in our area - colleges,
retail, other libraries in our area, for example-to decide if we should
close.  Our board is looking for something more concrete to put in writing,
and I'd like to see if anyone has something before we invent the wheel all
over again.  I am interested in policies that cover both when/if the library
closes and also any staff policies for such events.

Does anyone out there in library-land have a snow/emergency closing policy
that you think works well?

Thank you, as always, for your help!

Anita

Anita G. Carroll