[OPLINLIST] Filter Compilation

Susan Pieper susanhillpieper at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:49:43 EST 2011

I asked via Oplinlist info regarding smaller, rural libraries and whether or
not they filter any or all computers and if so, what filter do they
use/recommend. The following is a list of responses.

   - All computers. We use Cymphonix which also comes with bandwidth
   management. http://www.cymphonix.com/
   - We use WebSense to filter all public PCs and the WiFi.  We use WebSense
   with little intervention needed.
   - OpenDNS. It is cost effective at around $900 and no additional
   equipment is needed. You can set your own parameters of what is to be
   blocked. We currently have pornography and nudity blocked. That will not
   block medical related sites. It is a very discerning filter. It is very easy
   to set-up and run.  http://www.opendns.com/. A block message appears on
   the screen when a patron tries to access a blocked site with instructions to
   contact a staff member if they would like the site unblocked. A bypass code
   (that is updated monthly) is provided to all staff members so they may
   assist patrons instantly at their request. We only have one areas of
   computers for all patrons so it was even more important to have the web
   filtering. Patrons must also walk past the computers to get to the
   children's room. We also provide WiFi out into the parking lot and I think
   it reaches a few homes in the area. The amount of blocked sites (mostly
   during closed hours/WiFi) dropped dramatically in 3 weeks and are virtually
   non-existent now. We haven't had anyone ask to have a site unblocked in 8
   months! So I think the parameters we set are appropriate.
   - I'm a big fan of Websense. Have used it for almost 10 years. We filter
   all computers including staff computers. The exceptions are the AWE
   (children computers) which don't have Internet access. Websense allows use
   to configure different polices i.e staff, public, genealogy, OPAC with
   varying degrees of control. Although Websense is server based it includes a
   staff controlled control panel which allows staff to unblock an individual
   computer in almost real time. Websense allows us to add or remove a site in
   almost real time. We do not unblock public or patron laptops. First we don't
   want to, and second Websense filters the access point which makes it almost
   impossible to unblock an individual laptop. We don't differentiate between
   children and adults for general Internet use. We have never had two types of
   cards, and made the global change about 5 years ago when our OPACs became
   mini-internet stations, two years ago we moved away from a teen (tween) game
   computer to teen internet computers.
   - Our filtering is SonicWall which comes with our firewall.  We filter
   both children and adult, but there is less filtering on the adult computers.
   - The filtering software is Websense. Each library has a PC that hosts
   the filtering software and each has their own filtering policies. That is
   just a very basic overview. We initially had different policies for Adults
   (>18), Juvies (<17), and staff. Now Adults and Juvies have the same policy.
   The staff policy is a little more open but not by much. The wifi is
   currently filtered using the staff policy.
   - Our library (serving approx. 6,600) does not filter at all.  The
   Board's philosophy has been that filtering creates a false sense of security
   and it is not fool proof.  And of course filters can block good content
   as well. Being small, all of our computers are in one place and are right in
   our sight line.
   - Our library does not filter Adult or Juvenile.  Inappropriate viewing
   gets a warning.

Library Blog:
http://dustingthelibraryshelves.blogspot.com
Susan Hill Pieper, Director/Editor