[OPLINLIST] Looking Up Library Cards for Children to Use the Internet

Hamrick, Lisa Lisa.Hamrick at cincinnatilibrary.org
Wed Feb 23 11:37:23 EST 2011

We treat our children with the same respect and consideration we do our adult customers.  We look up everyone's card upon request.  We verify with whatever information we can - birth date, phone number, address, etc.  The children usually don't have a photo id, but we don't require that of the adults.  Most of the addresses on the adult id's aren't current so it is no more trouble to look up a child's card number than an adults.

Anyone, child or adult, can request a guest pass that is good for the day.  We do not research if they have fines before allowing them a guest pass.
Whether the issue is looking up a card number to borrow items from the library or to use the Internet, we still offer the same service to those under 18 as to those over 18.  The same holds true for anyone requesting an Internet Guest Pass.

As for mischief, the adults provide much more of that than the children!

Perhaps, now that we have passed our first levy, we will have to do something to make sure users are card holders, but for now, we have a very open access Internet policy.

Thank you for beginning this discussion thread,
Lisa
Lisa Hamrick
Manager, Children's Learning Center
The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
Lisa.Hamrick at CincinnatiLibrary.org
513-369-6988