[OPLINLIST] Purchase of Plastic Bags--Summary of responses

Marsha Wagner marsha at canalfultonlibrary.org
Tue Jan 4 11:07:19 EST 2011

Thanks to all for your responses.  Three libraries are still purchasing
plastic bags to give out. Two libraries are no longer purchasing but using
previously purchased plastic bags either as a program reward or as
necessary.  Seven libraries that responded to my question either give out
re-used plastic grocery sacks or sell woven or cloth bags.

Thanks to all for you recommendations on the types of bags you use

Plastic recommendations: Last year with the very poor budget, we switched to
ULINE’s lighter weight bags—ok for dvds, but ripped easily with picture
books, so back to BetterContainer ‘I heart my library’ bags.

We purchase sturdy plastic bags from JanWay (the Wave style bag)…very
inexpensive.  We charge $0.25 for a bag.
Cloth or Woven Bags:

www.discountmugs.com (cost @1.34 each from www.discountmugs.com product
#TOT11 Large Thunder Grocery Tote bags.  500 can be imprinted for $669 and
sold for $1.50 each to recoup the shipping and imprint charges.)

We also offer a cloth-like recycled material bag for $2, also from JanWay.

We now offer two options – a plastic bag for 25 cents or a “green tote bag”
for $2.  We asked our Friends of the Library to purchase the green bags (I
think they’re available from Demco)  for the library and to donate them to
the library for re-sale to the public.
http://www.demco.com/goto?BLS88851&ALL0000&es=20101230082446247960  They
purchase the bags in a sufficient quantity that the bags cost them less than
$2 each.

Zippered Bags for Circulation:

 We have larger zippered canvas tote bags with the library logo.  There is

a barcode on each bag and we check them out to patrons.  We treat the bags

as we do any other item we check out.  Sturdier than plastic; they are

very popular with out patrons.  Often they may need febreezed or taken

home and washed in cold water.  A few I've had to take home and sew when

they become torn.