[OPLINLIST] An OPLIN mobile app saga

Stephen Hedges hedgesst at oplin.org
Wed Jan 5 14:51:34 EST 2011

This rather lengthy screed is about our recent experiences working on a
mobile app for the OPLIN Find-A-Library service (http://oplin.org/fal).
In it we share some lessons learned, some information for folks with
mobile devices, and some observations for all libraries.

*Lessons learned*

We wanted to build a version of the Find-A-Library service that would
take advantage of the capabilities of smartphones, such as the ability
to place a call by clicking on a phone number, or mapping a route to a
library location from the current location of the phone. We started by
grabbing the recommended integrated development environments (IDEs) for
iOS (iPhone/iPad) and Android. We installed Xcode and the iOS SDK on Mac
OS X, following the instructions at
http://developer.apple.com/devcenter/ios; and we installed Eclipse and
the Android SDK on Linux, following the instructions at
http://developer.android.com/guide.

Both of these IDEs require at least a basic understanding of the
concepts of object-oriented and java programming, but they're really not
too difficult to use, and Xcode in particular can be fun. Whenever you
get stuck, there's a ton of help available on the Internet.

As we worked on our apps, however, we gradually came to realize that we
were trying to write code that had already been well-written by other
folks, particularly the developers that built the mobile web browsers
and Google maps. It would have taken a lot of time to create web views,
navigation buttons, activity indicators, map views, and other such
things that were already available through existing apps that almost
everybody already has on their mobile device. (Plus we learned that it
would cost us $99 to become "official" Apple developers before we could
build code that we could test on a real iPhone, and we're kinda cheap!)

*For folks with mobile devices*

Our solution was to modify the existing Find-A-Library code so it
performed well in a mobile web browser. If you have a mobile device --
ANY mobile device -- that has a web browser, go to
http://oplin.org/labs/mobilefal -- and then set a bookmark so you won't
even have to type this in again. This mobile version of Find-A-Library
has been tweaked to look good on an iPhone screen (it didn't need any
tweaking for Android) and you'll see that library phone numbers can be
called (if your device is a phone) just by touching the number. You can
also touch the library's address to launch Google maps, which can then
provide you with a lot of other information, such as driving directions.
Enjoy!

*For all libraries*

The library information in Find-A-Library comes from the OPLIN Data
Center, so if your library's information is incorrect, it means you need
to login to http://oplin.org/datacenter and correct it. Find-A-Library
includes branches, so if you open/close/move a branch be sure to change
that information in the Data Center. If you need Data Center help,
contact http://support.oplin.org.

One important note about phone numbers: some libraries have taken pains
to get a phone number that spells something, like "555-LIB-RARY."
Smartphones cannot automatically call these numbers, they just ignore
them. (The actual HTML code that enables calling a number expects ten
digits after a "tel:" label, like this: <a
href="tel:5555427279">555-542-7279</a>; "tel:555LIBRARY" fails.) For
that matter, such numbers are impossible to dial manually on the QWERTY
keyboard of many smartphones. Please use "real-number" phone numbers in
the Data Center.

*Questions?* We'll try our best to answer them, just contact
http://support.oplin.org.

--
Stephen Hedges, Director
2323 W. Fifth Ave., Suite 130