[OPLINLIST] State Library of Ohio response to OverDrive 2011 Initiative memo

Ashlee Clark aclark at library.ohio.gov
Tue Mar 1 12:09:32 EST 2011

Please excuse multiple postings of this message from State Librarian
Beverly Cain.

________________________________

The State Library of Ohio received a copy of the OverDrive 2011
Initiatives and Key Priorities memo along with other libraries on
Thursday, February 24, 2011.  Staff at the State Library were as
surprised and frustrated upon receiving this message as other OverDrive
libraries.   In our case, we were even more perturbed since State
Library staff had begun discussing the renewal of the Ohio eBook Project
contract with OverDrive the week before.  And, although changes in
pricing and structure were alluded to in that conference call, the call
did not begin to imply the drastic changes outlined in Steve Potash's
memo.

At this time, the State Library is moving forward with the next
enrollment period of the Ohio eBook Project and we continue to work with
OverDrive.  We realize that there may be changes in the structure and
pricing of the Ohio eBook Consortium as well as for any library with an
OverDrive contract.  In the case of the Ohio eBook Consortium we will do
our best to come to an agreement which will work for the consortium and
members.  At the same time we will continue to advocate for all Ohio
libraries in the provision of fair, equitable access to eBook content.

The Chief Officers of State Library Agencies (COSLA) has been very
active in the eBook arena and this involvement continues.  I have been
appointed to a COSLA task force to develop a platform to take to
OverDrive in attempt to negotiate a better model.  As the task force
moves forward I will keep the Ohio library community informed of its
outcomes.

Beverly Cain

State Librarian