[OPLINLIST] Biography Reference Bank -- News and Tips -- March 2011

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.org
Thu Mar 10 08:47:32 EST 2011

*Key figures in the Middle East*
	Wilson's *Biography Reference Bank* on WilsonWeb and WilsonWeb Mobile
continues to be the most reliable and respected resource for educators
and general readers who want to know more about the people at the center
of the region's current upheaval.

One such figure is Colonel Muammar Qaddafi, who has ruled Libya with his
family since 1969. You will find a detailed---and recently
updated---profile of the Libyan leader in *Biography Reference Bank*, as
well as suggestions for further reading.

*Search tip:*Not sure of the spelling? Qaddafi's name can be spelled
several ways. However, WilsonWeb is flexible enough to accept several
spellings to take you right to the profile.

*March means St. Patrick's Day, March 17*
For educators, general readers, and public librarians alike, St.
Patrick's Day is a good focus point for discussing some of the serious
issues around Ireland's current financial woes, including the ongoing
debt crisis, the recent general election, or a new wave of emigration,
and *Biography Reference Bank* can provide profiles of political leaders
such as former Prime Minister Bertie Ahern, or Charles Haughey, whose
names are mentioned often in the context of current problems.
*Rock Star Bono*

For a more cultural approach to St. Patrick's Day, try searching for
/Ireland/ in Place of Origin, then choose /Entertainers/, /actors/,
/singers/, or /authors/ to locate profiles and photographs of some of
Ireland's most famous people, like Bono, Enya, Lisa Hannigan, Eoin
Colfer, and Molly Keane.

*"No-one has ever heard of her", except /Current Biography Illustrated!/*

*Esperanza Spalding*

When jazz bassist Esperanza Spalding took home the Grammy award for best
newcomer on February 13, 2011, many people wondered just who she was,
and many of Justin Bieber's fans were upset by what they saw as a
surprise win
<http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/02/14/hell-hath-no-fury-like-a-belieber-scorned/>.

However, those who claimed that "no-one has ever heard of her," can't
have been paying attention to *Current Biography Illustrated*, which
published a detailed profile of Spalding in 2010. That profile is now
available in both *Current Biography Illustrated* and *Biography
Reference Bank* online, so people can learn just who Spalding is using
either WilsonWeb or WilsonWeb Mobile. The unauthorized post-Grammy
alterations made to some of Spalding's biographies on the open Internet
also highlight another major advantage of using Wilson biography
databases: you can rely on our profiles to be accurate and to contain
only verified information!

(In the interests of balance, we should point out that *Current
Biography Illustrated* and *Biography Reference Bank* also added a
detailed profile of Justin Bieber in 2010.)

*
**
Alicia Sacramone

<http://www.hwwilson.com/currentbio/cover_bios/cover_bio_03_11.cfm>*

*Who's new in Current Biography for March*

Our cover biography this month is gymnast Alicia Sacramone, who won gold
in the vault competition at the World Artistic Gymnastics Championships
in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, on October 23, 2010.

*Journalist Hendrik Hertzberg

<http://www.hwwilson.com/currentbio/cover_bios/cover_bio_03_11_hertzberg.cfm>*

This month you can also see a second featured profile on our website,
that of journalist Hendrik Hertzberg, a longtime columnist in the New
Yorker. Hertzberg wrote about the experience of being profiled in his
/New Yorker/ blog
<http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/hendrikhertzberg/2011/03/all-about-me.html>,
and praises Wilson biography writer Dmitry Kiper for prioritizing
relevant biographical details over gossip and innuendo, which is
something we at Wilson have prided ourselves on for many years.

Remember that these profiles have all been added to *Biography Reference
Bank* too.

*This month's sample profile *
The featured profile on our website this month is Mark Buehrle, of the
Chicago White Sox, a left-handed pitcher known for his workmanlike
approach to the game, superb accuracy, and exceptional defensive talent.
Check out his profile here
<http://www.hwwilson.com/newsmakers/ShortBio.cfm>.

*Other new biographies this month include *
Congressman Justin Amash . Governor Terry Branstad of Iowa . Musician
Bruce Dickinson . Baseball player Bob Feller (obituary) . Filmmaker
Michael Haneke . Writer Stephen Kinzer . Football player Jason Peters .
Playwright and actor Wallace Shawn (update) . Dancer Alex Wong
*And many more!*