[OPLINLIST] Author Donald Ray Pollock to Visit the Tuscarawas County Public Library

Andrea Legg leggan at oplin.org
Thu Nov 3 10:58:30 EDT 2011

Greetings!

Please mark your calendars for the fourth and final installment in the
TCPL's 2011 Visiting Author Series. A press release is included below:

###

Chillicothe native Donald Ray Pollock will be visiting the New Philadelphia
location of the Tuscarawas County Public Library System on Thursday,
November 17th at 7PM to mark the fourth and final installment of the
library's 2011 Visiting Author Series.

Pollock was born in 1954 and grew up in a southern Ohio holler called
Knockemstiff. A high school dropout at seventeen, he spent 32 years employed
at the Mead Paper Mill in Chillicothe before deciding to pursue a Master of
Fine Arts in Creative Writing from Ohio State University at age 50.

"I never really dreamed I'd get out of the mill when I started," he told the
Los Angeles Times in 2008. "I told my wife, 'I'm gonna give this thing five
years and try my hardest and see what happens. And then I thought, well, if
I gave it five good years and nothing did happen, I can still say, when I'm
laying in the nursing home or whatever, at least I gave it a shot.'"

But something did happen.

In 2008, one year before graduating from the MFA program, he made his
literary debut with the critically acclaimed short-story collection,
Knockemstiff, comprised of gritty tales set in the small Ohio town Pollock
once called home. The book, which caught the attention of critics
everywhere, won him the 2009/Robert Bingham Fellowship and firmly
substantiated his mid-life career change. In July of this year, he released
his first novel, The Devil All the Time, which has drawn comparisons to
literary greats like John Steinbeck and Flannery O'Connor. The Wall Street
Journal has called him "the next important voice in American fiction," and
Chuck Palahniuk has hailed his work "more engaging than any new fiction in
years."

Pollock will be available to sign copies of Knockemstiff and The Devil All
the Time, which will be available for purchase, after the program concludes.

Admission to the event is free. The New Philadelphia Friends of the Library
will be providing refreshments.

To register to attend the program, please contact the reference desk at the
New Philadelphia location of the Tuscarawas County Public Library at
330-364-4474 ext. 101.

###

Many thanks in advance for your interest and support!

Best,

Andrea Legg

Extension & Technical Services Manager

Tuscarawas County Public Library System