[OPLINLIST] State Library of Ohio's latest issue of The News is now available at: http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at library.ohio.gov
Wed Nov 30 11:37:02 EST 2011

Please excuse multiple postings...

http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/>

November, 2011

Genealogy

State Librarians Report
Interest in genealogy has grown considerably in recent years, spurring
some to call genealogy "the fastest growing hobby in North America."  In
July 2009, a survey conducted by Harris Interactive indicated that 87%
of Americans were interested in learning more about their family
histories. More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November>

Featured Stories

Ancestry Library Edition: One School's Experience
ProQuest Ancestry Library Edition is part of the Ohio Web Library core
set of databases purchased by Libraries Connect Ohio through a federal
IMLS LSTA grant awarded by the State Library of Ohio. Ancestry Library
Edition went live July 1, 2011 for a one year trial subscription.
Ancestry Library Edition delivers billions of records in census data,
vital records, directories, photos, and more, contained in over 7,000
databases. Unlike most Ohio Web Library databases, it is available via
on-site library access only (no remote access). More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/Anc
estry>

Delaware County Genealogical Society at Delaware County District Library
When the Delaware County Historical Society and the Delaware County
Genealogical Society (DCGS) determined that they could no long share a
common space, members of the DCGS reached out to the Delaware County
District Library (DCDL) suggesting a collaborative association between
the two organizations. For years, librarians at DCDL have answered
family history questions, researched obituaries, searched cemetery
records, and scoured century-old local newspapers to help answer
genealogical questions from all over the world. It seemed like a natural
and logical partnership that would mutually benefit both organizations,
combining Delaware County "experts" and in-depth resources from the DCGS
with the facilities, hours, and known demand at DCDL.  More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/Del
awareCounty>

Genealogical Sources at the State Library of Ohio
When the State Library of Ohio transferred the bulk of its genealogical
collection in 2007, including a large variety of print sources, to the
Columbus Metropolitan Library, it was assumed that the State Library was
"getting out of the genealogy business," as some described the move. The
move, however, was not motivated by a desire to stop being a source for
genealogical research. The decision involved a variety of factors, one
of which was access.  More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/Gen
ealogyStateLib>

Genealogy and Adoption
As an adoptee, my biological family tree has been barren for most of my
life. My adoption was never a secret in my family; my parents still glow
when they tell the story of bringing me home from the agency on the
first day of spring. However, I'd always remained curious about my birth
mother, and I always wanted to thank her for the sacrifice she made to
give me a better life. More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/gen
ealogy-and-adoption>

Genealogy Collection at Columbus Metropolitan Library
Ohio has several great repositories for genealogy research. Among them
is the collection at the Columbus Metropolitan Library (CML).
CML's collection for many years had only Ohio resources but that was to
change significantly starting in 2007 when we received the State Library
of Ohio's genealogy collection. More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/CML

History of Genealogy Collections at the State Library of Ohio
The foundation of the State Library genealogy collection was a donation
of material by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) in the
early 1930s. The collection continued to grow, especially in later years
under Petta Khouw and then Paul Immel, and it reached its peak after a
large increase in space following the State Library's move to its
present location on East 1st Avenue. More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/StL
ibHistory>

Remembering Genealogist Paul Immel
Paul Immel (1955 - 2010) worked in Ohio libraries for nearly four
decades, but it was for his unparalleled level of expertise and
professional service to the Ohio genealogy community at the State
Library of Ohio that he is remembered. His work as a Research Services
Librarian from 1979 to 2009 bridged his love for history, library
service, and research. More...
<http://library.ohio.gov/marketing/Newsletters/TheNews/2011/November/Imm
el>

Links & Downloads

Government Information You Can Use
<http://library.ohio.gov/sites/default/files/GovNewsV2I4-2011.pdf>

News You Can Use
<http://library.ohio.gov/sites/default/files/StateNews5.10.pdf>  for
State Employees

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Marketing & Communications Director

274 E. 1st Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201

Tel: 614-644-6875

Fax: 614-466-3584

www.library.ohio.gov

  <http://www.facebook.com/people/StateLibraryof-Ohio/100000063363765>

Share Your Story at
http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story
<http://library.ohio.gov/state-librarian/share-your-story>
Tell us how a State Library service or resource helped you or your
library.