[OPLINLIST] DVD Storage/Protection

Richelle Klug rklug at stclibrary.org
Wed Sep 28 14:17:43 EDT 2011

As with all libraries, the St. Clairsville Public Library is not immune from
theft.  Our DVD collection has been especially hard-hit.  We implemented a
"DVD pod" system back in April, in which we have empty DVD cases on the
shelves and the DVDs stored in a Media Carousel behind the desk (see, Ziotek
Media Carousel http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=4667).
This system worked to prevent theft, but after implementing the system, we
soon realized there were a lot of flaws for our particular library.

First, it is time consuming for staff.  They have to individually dispense
each disc from the pod, up to 10 DVDs - increasing transaction times 2+
minutes.  Secondly, we have outgrown the number of discs we can hold
already.  We have 8 pods, which hold 150 discs each, totaling in 1200 discs.
And our collection keeps growing.  Likewise, there is only enough room for 8
pods behind the circ desk.  (Side note: I would recommend the pod system for
libraries with smaller DVD collections and with a low limit of DVDs that can
be checked out at one time.)

Because of the lack of discs the pods could hold, we decided not to "pod"
our multi-disc DVDs (such as TV shows, etc.).  They are housed right in
front of the circulation desk so we thought we could keep a good eye on
them, but we've noticed within the last month several have gone missing.

It has become clear that we need a new system of storing our DVDs - both
from the continuation of theft and the lack of space for our current system.
We've thought about investing in locked storage cases, but know it is a
costly venture.  I am willing to make the investment but don't want to
devote precious funding in the wrong thing.  For example, I've heard that
some libraries still have problems with theft even if they have the locked
cases because people steal them and break them open off-site.  I've also
seen the cases that have the lock on the inside where the disc attaches in
the center.  I have not heard anything about how well these work.

If anyone has any suggestions about what DVD storage system works for your
library - or what hasn't worked - I'd love to hear them!  You can reply to
rklug at stclibrary.org.

Thank you so much for all of your help in advance!

All my fondest,

Richelle

Richelle Klug, Library Director

St. Clairsville Public Library