[OPLINLIST] VoIP Update

Richelle Klug rklug at stclibrary.org
Thu Feb 2 11:11:01 EST 2012

I didn't get many responses from libraries that have installed VoIP systems,
but I did get a LOT of responses from other libraries interested in doing
so!

Here are some take-aways from the responses I did get:

.         Verify your current phone system's functions before proceeding.
E.g. Does it tie in to any security systems, fire alarms or elevator?

.         Verify that you have a high enough internet connection for VoIP,
which is probably most easily done by contacting your internet service
provider or OPLIN, depending on how you get your connection.

.         Someone who has not yet delved into the world of VoIP but has been
also looking into it said they are looking into companies like
http://ringcentral.com and http://www.asterisk.org/home for obtaining  PBX
services (i.e. "private branch exchange" system, or in other words your line
extensions).  Ring Central is a "hosted" service that you pay a certain
amount of $ per user per month and Asterisk is a PBX system that has VoIP
capability and requires hardware and the purchase of VoIP capable phones.

***

I ended up calling the company that installed our current phone system to
see if they could explain any of the VoIP to me.  (Note: we currently have a
box that controls our voice mail and 14 extensions which is supported by a
computer that is from circa 1985 and had recently died, but was
semi-resurrected to get us through until we installed a new system.)  Please
forgive me if my explanation of VoIP is not 100% accurate, I am no expert.

He explained that there are two types of VoIP, as was touched on from my
Vonage, Ring Central) which requires either adapters for your current phone
or an IP capable phone.  There is also an IP telephone system (PBX system)
which is the installation of hardware and IP phones (sort of like what we
have at our library now) only it works on our internet lines - not the phone
lines.  This system ties into our phone lines which are serviced by a local
phone carrier and transfers that data so that it can be transmitted over our
CAT 5 internet cables.

Why would I want to do this, I asked?  He explained that we could put a
phone anywhere we have a computer.  (They make switches that allow both to
be connected at the same location.)  The benefit of this for us is that we
do not have a phone line that runs to our meeting room, but we do have a CAT
5 cable, thus saving us the hassle and cost of running a line.  Another
benefit is that if we did want to add extra phone extensions, we wouldn't
need additional "cards" installed in our system, but rather he could
remotely give us an additional "license" to add the line and we'll be good
to go.

Similarly, the switch over from the old to new phone system would go
smoothly without down time if we chose to go from our current phone system
to VoIP, rather than updating to another plain old telephone system (or
POTS, as I was informed by a responder!).  The new IP telephones would also
have their own MAC addresses so it would be easier to move extension
locations - say for example, I moved my office and wanted to take my
extension with me, it can be easily done via computer.  We can also update
our holiday hours, current phone messages, etc. via any computer.  So if we
have a bad snow storm and have to close for the day, it allows me to update
the phones with our emergency closing message from the comfort of my own
home.  (We can probably do this with our current phone system by calling in
and dialing a lot of codes, though it is very complicated and I have not
figured it out yet.)

You can also take this VoIP system further by adding additional computer
software which allows you to get voicemails via e-mail, transfer calls to
your cell phone, establish and quickly enable fast messages - such as "out
to lunch" or "at a meeting" messages - which are customizable for each
extension.  This would be great for a larger library.

Finally, there is an option to go for the FULL VoIP service called SIP
("Session Initiated Protocol") Trunking, which eliminates use of your
telephone lines all together.  These are hosted by Internet Telephony
Service Providers (ITSP), such as AT&T or other companies that offer this
budding service.  It is currently available in major metro areas, but not in
more rural locations, since it is such a new technology.  I cannot say much
more about this service since it is not available in our area.  Though I was
told that if we installed the PBX system for VoIP service, we would be
prepared for this future technology if we were so inclined to adopt it years
from now.

As far as pricing, he said we were looking at investing approximately
$1,500-$2,500 more in the VoIP system at our location, over the cost of a
system like we currently have.  I don't know how that price would vary for
anyone else.

Not sure if any of this is helpful for anyone, but I hope it sheds some
light on the mystery of VoIP systems.

Best of luck!

Richelle

Richelle Klug, Library Director