[OPLINLIST] Proctoring

Ed Rossman erossman74 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 2 18:00:23 EST 2012

Hi,

At Shaker Heights we have one person only handling proctoring. At this point it's me, prior to me one person did it for years. I have a phone extension where staff people can send inquiries when I'm not here.

We use time mgt software on our computers, so I had a special account created that I can sign into and give the student more than the normal time.

I let the student and the school know they cannot be under constant supervision, nor do we have an enclosed space where they can be isolated. I'd say this only drops 10% of the requests. Most of our requests are for placement tests. Some are in online classes long term and it's rewarding seeing them progress (this is my third year).

We don't use any online or printed forms for the patron, but when I make an appointment I put details on our internal wiki so in case I don't make it in, other staff can help. Things change sometimes, especially with the weather. Usually I find out their test deadlines and strongly encourage them NOT to wait until the last day. They should give themselves 5 days as a buffer in case something happens on our end or theirs. Just today one lady had to change due to unforeseen problems. Luckily she has enough time. Sometimes the passwords I get are date sensitive. Also, I prefer NOT doing online tests on weekends. The tech support is minimal.

My biggest problems have been when the student comes in with no documantation and the school does not provide me with their personal student numbers. I always ask them to bring any paperwork they have.

We also have a Proctoring Binder at our Main Branch's info desk with all the forms, pre-printed tests, passwords, etc.

We don't charge, and view it as an extension of our educational mission. Last year we did 60+ sessions.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Ed Rossman