[OPLINLIST] Childhood eating disorder...

Barb Scott barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 16:19:32 EST 2012

Okay, folks,here's a stumper for you....it certainly perplexed me.

Had a patron in today looking for information on childhood eating disorder....specifically a disorder that is, as the father described it, "the I'm full button being broken".  He has a young son who evidentally had medical issues early on and was fed through a tube.  As he describes it, the child now does not know the sensation of "being full" when eating regular food...will eat often to the point of passing out.

Of course, we had nothing here, and mostly what I have found searching on-line are medical journals.  Any wisdom as to websites or books that are not medical textbooks that I could direct him to?

I am not a doctor (nor do I play one on TV), but the description of binge eating disorder sounds closest to what he is describing.  So does anyone out there know of any books, etc. that I could direct this parent to?

TIA!

Barbara Scott, Children's Librarian
Bucyrus Public Library
200 East Mansfield Street
Bucyrus, OH  44820
419-562-7327 x 104
www.childrensprogramming.blogspot.com
Author of 1,000 Fingerplays and Action Rhymes:  A Sourcebook and DVD
www.neal-schuman.com/far
Coming in 2012:  The Holiday Handbook:  700+ Storytime Activities...
www.neal-schuman.com/rtghs