[OPLINLIST] stuck teen group

Karalea Lane gawref2 at oplin.org
Thu Jan 19 16:01:19 EST 2012

I run game night at our library, and usually have a decent amount of
kids. I'd like to start a teen group, and have been asking the kids who
come some of the things they'd like to do. Here is the roadblock.

Church youth groups are very popular in this area and seem to have heavy
attendance. Many of the activities that I have considered (late night
pizza party, volunterring for Summer reading program, etc.) are things
that the churches do with them. It's great that the kids have something
to do as there isn't much around here. I'd like the library to be
another option. Variety and all.

What can I offer to get teens to come to the library for more than
Facebook? I have thought of an anime club, but that gets into licensing
with viewing of the anime. Book clubs/reading groups don't seem to be
popular, but  I am willing to to hold a in depth discussion of the
Twilight series if that is what it takes. Libraries need to be cool again.

Karalea Lane
Reference Clerk
Garnet A. Wilson Public Library of Pike County
Waverly, Ohio
740/947-4921