[OPLINLIST] volunteers in library

Laura Thorne thornela at oplin.org
Fri Jan 20 09:12:52 EST 2012

I know we have addressed this topic before but....we have a gentleman who
wants to volunteer in our library (shelving, etc.) but he does have
seizures.  It prevents him from working or driving.  We are concerned about
him having a seizure while he is here, and possibly injuring himself.  What
steps, if any, should we take to protect the library (and the volunteer) in
the event of an incident?  I do not want to turn him away from this
opportunity but my board wants more information.  Should I ask for his
doctor's opinion and have it in writing?  I am not sure of the severity of
his seizures nor the likelihood of him having one while here.

Laura Thorne
Director
Jackson City Library