[OPLINLIST] Proctoring

Gerry Vogel gvogel at avonlake.lib.oh.us
Fri Jan 27 11:33:23 EST 2012

Dear all -- we proctor about an exam a week and have about a dozen regulars.

We have seldom had an issue with burdensome requirements (installing
special software, sitting there with a stopwatch) or flaky students,
and we have the following policy on our website to refer to if we do.

--

Proctoring Policy and Guidelines

I. Purpose

Long-distance learning programs and some professors/instructors
provide opportunities for independent study on the condition that
exams are proctored by an outside agency. Although the Avon Lake
Public Library is not a test center, to meet this need of our
community and in our role of supporting lifelong learning, the Library
provides this service, at the convenience of staff.

II. Guidelines

A. The Library does not charge a fee for this service. All expenses,
including copying and postage, are the responsibility of the
test-taker. When a test is to be mailed to the school or
professor/instructor, a self-addressed stamped envelope with
appropriate postage must be provided by the school or the test-taker
before the test is administered. The Library will arrange for courier
pick-up if provided with a return envelope or label. Copies of
completed exams will not be retained. The Library will not fax test
materials.

B. The Library provides a public computer workstation with word
processing software and Internet access for online exams. These
workstations do not allow installation of any additional software. It
is the test-taker’s responsibility to ensure that the Library’s
computer resources are adequate for their test-taking requirements.

C. The exam or the instructions for taking the exam online must be forwarded to:

Reference Librarian
Avon Lake Public Library
32649 Electric Blvd.
Avon Lake, OH 44012

or, via e-mail to refdesk at avonlake.lib.oh.us, at least one (1) week in
advance of the intended test date. The test-taker must contact the
Library’s Reference desk, by e-mail, phone or in-person, at least 48
hours in advance to schedule an appointment to take the test. A member
of the Adult Services staff will proctor the test.

D. The Library cannot guarantee quiet conditions for test-taking. The
test-taker will be seated in sight of the Reference desk. The Library
does not guarantee that the test-taker will be under observation at
all times.

E. Staff will verify the identity of the test-taker by requiring
presentation of picture identification before administering the exam.
Test-takers should not bring cellular phones or other equipment or
materials prohibited by the exam instructions into the Library. If
such materials are brought into the Library, they may be left at the
Reference desk during the exam; however, the Library is not
responsible for them.

F. Test-takers are responsible for supplying all materials, including
paper, pencils and calculators.

G. The Library will not hold tests beyond their expiration dates. If
the test has not been taken by that time, it will be destroyed.

H. Due to legal and ethical concerns, staff will not sign a proctoring
verification that attests to more than they are able to do.

III. Reservation of Rights

If it is determined that the proctoring request is unreasonable or its
demands are too burdensome to administer, the Library reserves the
right to deny this service.

--
Gerry Vogel, MLIS
Assistant Director, Avon Lake Public Library

*any opinions expressed are my own and not (necessarily, or yet) those of ALPL*

I am currently reading: "I know who you are and I saw what you did :
social networks and the death of privacy" by Lori B. Andrews