[OPLINLIST] VoIP Phone Sytems

Richelle Klug rklug at stclibrary.org
Mon Jan 30 11:30:28 EST 2012

I was wondering if any other libraries have switched (or looked into
switching) from traditional, copper phones lines to Voice Over IP service
for their phones?  Our current phones are about to give out entirely (we've
recently replaced the motherboard in our current system, which was installed
in the 1980s) and we want to make an educated decision on where to go from
here.  I'm not very familiar with how VoIP works, so I do have some
questions.

What kind of pricing differences did you encounter, both in the cost of the
system as well as operational costs?

How does it work if you rely on multiple lines? (We have 3 phone lines, 1
fax line, and 1 line to our elevator = 5 lines total.)  Do you still keep a
traditional line for emergencies, faxing, etc?

Is a utility company (e.g. AT&T) still necessary to run a VoIP system?  Or
does the system stand alone after installation?  (I think this question
proves my ignorance!)

How well do the phones work?  Are there dropped calls or issues with data
transmission?

I would love to hear both the good and the bad!  You can respond off-list to
rklug at stclibrary.org.

Thank you, in advance, for your input!!

Richelle Klug, Library Director

St. Clairsville Public Library