[OPLINLIST] Facebook photos

Karen Jensen kjensenmls at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 19 10:34:47 EDT 2012

Most libraries now have OPT OUT as opposed to OPT IN policies for photos.  What this means is that you put up signage, and perhaps a statement on your website, that states that photos taken at programs or on library pwremises may be used in promotional materials and give patrons the opportunity to say that they are not okay with that.  When doing online photos, I would take it one step further, however, and make sure not to identify anyone without their written consent.  I know that when we have library events and the newspaper takes pictures they will sometimes ask an individual their name to put with the photo, other times they simply do large group shots.

Below is a good example of an opt out policy:
http://www.cphlibrary.org/documents/about/policies/privacy-3-11.pdf

Karen

Karen Jensen, MLS
Teen Librarian Toolbox
www.teenlibrariantoolbox.com
Join #the2012project (info on blog)
@tlt16 on Twitter, also on Facebook and Pinterest
Youth Services Librarian, Betty Warmack Branch Library
Reviewer for VOYA magazine