[OPLINLIST] Counting minutes for SRP...

Barb Scott barbarascott1956 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 6 16:24:17 EST 2012

Hello, friends....

Well, after many years of counting books for SRP, I am ready to try something new.....who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

I read on PUBYAC a few weeks back the idea of having teams (2-3) and having them "race" by counting the minutes read during the summer.  In the past, we have offered food coupons from local fast food places for 5-book increments, and this is something that I want to still include, but how to incorporate them?  Still use 5 increments, such as 5 hours, 10 hours, 15 hours?  And if that's the case, how do we (participant and librarian) keep track of it?  Our program lasts 7 weeks, including the week before we begin programming that participants can sign up...that's 50 days.  Conceivably, a participant could read 1 hour a day every day and end up with 50 hours.  And I know that some participants will read more...and some will read less.  At the end of the program, a party is held with cake for all teams.

Also, we've done reading contracts in the past....parent and child figure out a number of books that the child wants/can read during the run of the program.  At the end, those who complete their contracts get their names put in a drawing for one of 4 bicycles we give away.  I think that is still doable to incorporate with their reading goal being minutes instead of books.

If you have reporting tools (i.e. slips, paper ballots, etc.) that you use and you can attach to a reply, please do so....

Am stepping into this venture with some degree of trepidation....so, those of you with wisdom (and years of counting minutes), please soothe my nerves....

TIA!

Barbara Scott, Children's Librarian
Bucyrus Public Library
200 East Mansfield Street
Bucyrus, OH  44820
419-562-7327 x 104
www.childrensprogramming.blogspot.com
Author of 1,000 Fingerplays and Action Rhymes:  A Sourcebook and DVD
www.neal-schuman.com/far
Coming in 2012:  The Holiday Handbook:  700+ Storytime Activities...
www.neal-schuman.com/rtghs