[OPLINLIST] security gates and tags

Diana Schneider schneidi at oplin.org
Fri Mar 16 08:54:34 EDT 2012

For dvds, ACPDL currently has empty cases or "dummy cases" out in the
library.  Patrons bring their selections to the circulation desk and we
switch them with dvd cases that have the actual movie in them.  This takes a
lot of time.  We are looking at putting up security gates and placing
security tags on the dvds.  We have the same set-up for music cds.  I am
interested in knowing what type of security your library uses to prevent
theft of these items and how well they work.  How do you deactivate the item
when patrons are checking them out and how do you reactivate the security
once the item has been returned?  Did you have to purchase any special
cases?  Would you recommend the system you have in place?

Thank you for your assistance.

Diana T. Schneider, Assistant Director

Auglaize County Public District Library

203 S. Perry St.