[OPLINLIST] 2012 Dayton Literary Peace Prize Awards Recipients Announced

Gregor, Paul PGregor at gcpl.lib.oh.us
Thu Oct 4 12:14:58 EDT 2012

Please see the following information which has been posted on behalf of Helen Pritchard and the Library Committee of the Dayton Literary Peace Prize.
Thank you.

Paul Gregor
Head Librarian
Jamestown Community Branch
Greene County Public Library
937.675.4411 ex. 5301
pgregor at gcpl.lib.oh.us<mailto:pgregor at gcpl.lib.oh.us>
(cross postings to Publib-L, Libref-L and Oplinlist)

Tim O'Brien is the Winner of the 2012 Richard C. Holbrooke Distinguished Achievement Award Winner

"For forty years, Tim O'Brien has drawn on his experiences as a soldier in the Vietnam War to create a virtuosic body of work that includes The Things They Carried, In the Lake of the Woods, and Going After Cacciato".

http://daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/2012-holbrooke.htm

Mr. O'Brien is the author of:

If I Die in a Combat Zone, Box Me Up and Ship Me Home (1973).

Northern Lights (1975).

Going After Cacciato (1979) National Book Award in Fiction.

The Things They Carried (1990) National Magazine Award, also named one of the 20 best books of the last quarter century by the New York Times.

Tomcat in Love (1998).

July, July (2002).

In the Lake of the Woods (1994) named the best novel of 1994 by Time Magazine.

 The 2012 Dayton Literary Peace Prize winner for fiction

The Sojourn by Andrew Krivak

"In The Sojourn<http://andrewkrivak.com/books/the-sojourn> (Bellevue Literary Press), first-time novelist Andrew Krivak tells the story of Jozef Vinich who returns with his father from a 19th-century Colorado mining town to an impoverished shepherd's life in rural Austria-Hungary only to be uprooted again by World War I. Nominated for a National Book Award, the novel recreates a time when Czechs, Slovaks, Austrians, Hungarians, and Germans fought on the same side in the most brutal war to date, and evokes the longing for the American dream amid the unfolding tragedy in Europe".

The 2012 Dayton Literary Peace Prize winner for nonfiction

To End All Wars by Adam Hochschild

"In To End All Wars<http://www.hmhbooks.com/hmh/site/hmhbooks/bookdetails?isbn=9780618758289> (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt), Adam Hochschild brings World War I to life as never before by focusing on the long-ignored critics of the conflict, which is now considered one of history's most senseless spasms of carnage. In a suspenseful narrative with haunting echoes for our own time, Hochschild captures the riveting accounts of Britain's war protesters, many of whom were intimately connected to their enemy hawks and the war's generals and heroes. With hundreds of military cemeteries now filled with the millions who died in "the war to end all wars," the book asks if we can ever avoid repeating history. In The New York Times Book Review, Christopher Hitchens wrote, "This is a book to make one feel deeply and painfully, and also to think hard."

The 2012 runners-up are:

 *   Fiction: Nanjing Requiem<http://www.randomhouse.com/book/209856/nanjing-requiem-by-ha-jin> by Ha Jin (Pantheon Books): The award-winning author of Waiting and War Trash returns to his homeland in a searing new novel that unfurls during one of the darkest moments of the twentieth century: the Rape of Nanjing.
 *   Nonfiction: Day of Honey<http://books.simonandschuster.com/Day-of-Honey/Annia-Ciezadlo/9781416583943> by Annia Ciezadlo (Free Press): Day of Honey is a beautifully written, fiercely intelligent memoir exploring the heightened resonance of cooking in war-torn Baghdad and Beirut.

For further information on the award, lifetime achievement winners, nominees, and event festivities please see:

http://daytonliterarypeaceprize.org/