[OPLINLIST] Winter adult reading programs?

Shelley Bylica bylicash at oplin.org
Fri Aug 2 16:55:24 EDT 2013

Hi everyone.

Do any of your libraries offer Winter adult reading programs? I observe that
adults in my community can become very busy in the summertime. They are
farming/gardening/on vacation. Weddings in June. Graduations in June.
Spending time with students home on summer vacation. Conversely, people here
tend to stock up on DVD's and reading material before large storms are
expected in the Winter.

I would like to hear from other small town/rural libraries especially. Have
you tried to offer a winter Adult reading program? Was it more or less
successful than a summer program? If the point is to encourage creativity
through the expansion of imagination through reading novels, or to encourage
lifelong learning through providing incentives to make time for intellectual
activity, would you think a Winter program be more or less successful than a
summer one?

Thanks in advance!

Shelley B.

Shelley Bylica