[OPLINLIST] Inputting Patron's Data into Web Form

David Krajci dkrajci at starklibrary.org
Wed Aug 7 14:52:37 EDT 2013

Dear OPLINlisters,

For any number of reasons, some patrons who come to the library to use computers end up wanting (or needing) the staff to do the work they needed to do for themselves; that is, to read the directions and enter the necessary information into a web form for them.  This is not an appointment situation, it is just someone showing up and needing assistance.

Currently, staff are not permitted to enter personal information into a web form for a patron for reasons of privacy and confidentiality.  In practice, staff direct patrons to enter all information into a web form for themselves, with appropriate direction on how to do so.

Do any libraries allow staff to type information for patrons outside of having an appointment for a one-on-one?  Do any libraries have any written guidelines or talking points on what to say to patrons about staff declining the invitation to type information for them?

We do talk about what we can do for a patron rather than what we can't do, so I am looking for reasoned arguments and referrals as support for our declinations.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

[SA MTB signature logo]
David A. Krajci
Reference & Adult Nonfiction Services Manager
330.458.2757 Direct / 330.452.0403 Fax
mailto:dkrajci at starklibrary.org