[OPLINLIST] Signing your permission slip

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Aug 28 11:54:20 EDT 2013

Is there something you’d like to learn how to do, but you could never find the opportunity? I really like graphic design, and I’d always wanted to silkscreen my own t-shirt designs. The required equipment and chemicals for silkscreening are too expensive to buy, just for a couple shirts. But because I really wanted to do this, I kept hunting for solutions.

Eventually I found freezer paper. A tutorial on a blog showed how to cut a stencil out of freezer paper, which has wax on one side. So you place the waxy side against the fabric and go over it with a hot, dry iron. The wax sticks to the fabric enough to keep it firmly in place. Brush fabric paint on (2 coats to be safe), remove the stencil, then iron the shirt from the non-painted side, wash and wear it!

I dove into designing stencils. Here’s an Arrested Development-themed design I made. I drew it in InDesign, a page layout program that’s not at all the best tool to use, but I could make it work. After printing the design, I traced it onto the freezer paper, then cut it all out with an X-ACTO knife. It was a lot of work, but the result was pretty cool. And now I can tell others how they can do this themselves, like I am today.

Summer Reading Programs are great opportunities to create new programming, and STEM programming in particular is in high demand. There’s nothing wrong with planting potatoes and homemade volcanos, but there’s so much more you could do. That’s why we’ve done the legwork to bring together a full day of STEM programs that you can replicate or adapt for your library. Even if astronomy or engineering isn’t your personal passion, you can help opens the door to those fields to young people who are just beginning to discover their own interests.

To see the full slate of programs on Chemistry, Zoology, Physics, Engineering and Astronomy, along with an Idea Share and 20 STEM program websites (in 20 minutes), click here: http://tiny.cc/srp-stem .
Connect to SWON online: Website : Calendar : Facebook : Twitter
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. ( Please register for online classes at least two days before they take place.)

    * Plug Into the Power of Connection - (8/29/2013) - Online
    * [SWON Office Closed for Labor Day] - (9/2/2013)
    * Getting to the Finish Line: Achieving Your Goals for 2013 - (9/3/2013) - Online
    * Public Library Adult Program Planning Network (SIG) Meeting - (9/4/2013) - Kenton County Public Library, Durr Branch
    * The First 90 Days in Your Management or Supervisory Position - (9/5/2013) - Online
    * Adult Planning and Services (SIG) Meeting - (9/9/2013) - Dayton Metro Library, Main Branch
    * Master the Art of Connection and Communication - (9/10/2013) - Online
    * ROYAL Review (SIG) Meeting - (9/10/2013) - SWON Conference Room
    * ROYAL Review (SIG) Meeting - (9/10/2013) - Boone County Public Library, Main Branch

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463