[OPLINLIST] Does H-T-M-L Spell Trouble?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Dec 26 13:52:27 EST 2013

Lots of web interfaces include formatting tools that look similar to
Microsoft Word’s. This is called a “What You See Is What You Get”
(WYSIWYG) interface, which wildly over-promises on what it delivers.

*It looks like you could cut and paste from Word right into a WYSIWYG
page, and you may even find a “Paste from Word” button. But for me, that
never works as expected.* Translating between HTML and Word can’t be
done simply, so it creates lots of extra HTML code that's easily broken.

    Don’t Fight the Formatting

Don’t paste in from Word. That’s the easiest approach to take. Don’t
paste in formatting you have to try to fix. Paste plain text, instead.
To make double-sure you have unformatted text, paste it into the Notepad
program on your PC; then copy and paste that text into your website
editor and format away.

Separating the writing from the formatting is actually good for your
writing. It helps you concentrate first on the words and then on how
they look. Put all your attention on one task at a time, and both will
probably feel easier.

    Level-Up Lab: HTML

I’m teaching an introduction to HTML class on January 16th as part of
SWON’s Level-Up Lab series. I’ll introduce the HTML tags you’re likely
to use to write a blog, write HTML-based emails (like this one) or edit
web content in general.

You’ll get hand-outs that briefly demonstrate often-used HTML tags. And
since it’s a Lab, you’ll get to practice writing HTML with an online
tool that lets you easily test the results. It’s a great place to start
if you’re interested in learning more about websites, too.

Learn more and sign up here: http://tiny.cc/html-lab

  * Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator

  Teen Reader’s Advisory Guide

Each spring, SWON holds a three month-long Teen Reading Challenge to see
which teams of librarians can read the most teen-oriented books. In
2013, we collected reviews as well as book titles and so we could share
what they had read.

The result is the Teen Reader’s Advisory Guide, and it contains over
4,000 reviews of nearly 3,000 titles and runs to nearly 300 pages. It’s
fully searchable and ready to print, if you’d like to keep a copy at
your reference desk. It’s available today as a PDF for $25.

Buy a copy here: https://gum.co/TeenRAGuide. Questions? Email
nathan at swonlibraries.org <mailto:nathan at swonlibraries.org>. (Challenge
participants, check your email for a special link from me.)

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://swon.evanced.info/signup/eventcalendar.aspx> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Please note that the *SWON office is closed* on New Year's Eve and New
Year's Day.

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463