[OPLINLIST] Tell a new library story and win!

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Thu Jan 3 13:57:47 EST 2013

If this email is not formatted properly please go to our website at SWONLibraries.org

People love libraries. (Hurray!) Even people who don't use libraries. (Huh?) It's too bad so few people know what's happening in libraries these days at all. (Uh-oh.) Ask people about libraries and they'll probably talk about Carnegie buildings and musty book stacks and card catalogs.

Seriously. Card catalogs.

People think they already know the story of libraries, but those stories are from TV shows and movies. They're old stories that weren't even accurate when they were new. Those old stories keep people from exploring libraries. We need a new story to tell about libraries.

We want you to tell it. That's why we're launching the New Library Story contest. We want you to write a Public Service Announcement that tells the story of today's libraries. We'll award one winner $250 and turn the story into a short video.

Do you have a story about libraries to tell? Send it in! Entries are due March 15th, but don't wait until then. Get inspired by the stories we're escaping and the conversation-changing stories others are telling. Dream, draw, write. Take pictures or videos if you like. Tell an engaging story and we all win!

Come check us out on our calendar at http://tiny.cc/SWON-Calendar
Website, swonlibraries.org
Facebook Page SWON Libraries
Twitter at SWONlibraries

Tell us what you think and what you would like to see more from us.

Summer Reading Programs

Adult SRP Webinar,January 30th
Teen SRP Webinar Pt1, February 6th
Teen SRP Webinar Pt2, February 20th
Teen SRP Webinar Pt3, February 26th
Children's Summer Reading Workshop East, March 6th
Children's Summer Reading Workshop Central - Part 1, March 11
Children's Summer Reading Workshop Central - Part 2, March 11

Save the Date:

Spring Staff Training Symposium, May 21st

Calendar Snippet
January 2013

Event 	Date 	Location
ELS (SIG) Meeting 	1/4/13 	Blue Ash
Creating a Positively New You in the New Year 	1/8/13 	On line
ROYAL: Reviewers of Young Adult Literature 	1/8/13 	SWON Conference Room
ROYAL: Reviewers of Young Adult Literature 	1/8/13 	SWON Conference Room
Finance Meeting 	1/9/13 	SWON Conference Room
The End of Rah - Rah and Blah - Blah Organizational Training! 	1/10/13 	On line
OverDrive and E - Readers: Keeping It Simple For Your Users 	1/15/13 	On line
The Impact of an Ice Cream Sundae 	1/15/13 	On line
The Nitty Gritty of Social Media Pt1: How to Fail at Social Media 	1/17/13 	On line

Contact Information:
SWON Libraries Consortium
10250 Alliance Dr.
Suite 225