[OPLINLIST] Records Retention Policy

Marsha Wagner marsha at canalfultonlibrary.org
Fri Jan 4 11:56:12 EST 2013

Here is the Canal Fulton Public Library Records Retention Policy:
Canal Fulton Public Library:

Retention and Disposal of Records Policy
The Canal Fulton Public Library like other public entities in the
State of Ohio must retain records from year to year. Although the Ohio
Revised Code does not set guidelines for libraries, the CFPL Board of
Trustees adopts the following policy for record retention:
The Financial Officer will prepare a list of records to be disposed
following the completion of a state audit. The Board of Trustees will
approve the list prior to disposal. The list shall become an exhibit
to the minutes of the board.  The list will be sent to the Ohio
Historical Society for their approval before disposal as required by
the Open Records Act.
Records shall fall into two categories: Permanent and Non–Permanent.
Retention of records may be in the form of electronic media, print, or
tape. The following list shows the retention period of specific
records.
Permanent
•	Annual Financial Report to State Library
•	Audit Reports
•	Board Minutes
•	Board Policy Files
•	Budget – Part of Minutes
•	Building Specifications
•	Capital Outlay Files
•	Director's Monthly Report
•	Donation Records – Monetary and Non–Monetary
•	Historical Files
•	PERS Records
•	Personnel & Payroll Records, Timesheets
•	Treasurer's Report–to Board – Part of Minutes
•	MSDS Records
•	Employee Personnel Files-Including Leave Requests (sick and
vacation, W-2, w-4, I-9, Workers Compensation claims, Emergency
Contact Forms

Effective Date: 9/10/08

Canal Fulton Public Library
Retention and Disposal of Records
Non Permanent Records
Record Type and Title	Retention Period

Contracts:
Bids – Successful	3 years after expiration of contract
Bids – Unsuccessful	3 years provided audited
Contracts, Leases, Grants	3 years after expiration
Insurance Policies/Bonds	2 years after expiration provided all claims settled

Employee Files:
Accident Report/Incident	3 fiscal years provided audited
Employment Applications                                           	1
year if not hired

Financial:
Accounts Payable Ledger                          	3 years provided audited
Appropriation Ledger	3 years provided audited
Bank Deposit Receipts	3 years provided audited
Bank Statements	3 years provided audited
Budgets (Annual)	5 years provided audited
Canceled checks	3 years provided audited
Cash Journals	3 years provided audited
Check Registers	3 years provided audited
Depository Agreements	Until superseded/audited
Financial Reports (To UMI)	25 years
Invoices	3 years provided audited
Payroll Bank Statements	3 years provided audited
Petty Cash Records	3 years provided audited
Purchase Orders	3 years provided audited
Receipt Journals	3 years provided audited
Time Sheets	3 years provided audited
Travel Expense Vouchers	3 years provided audited
 End of Year	10 years after audited

Legal:
Claims And Litigation Records
          	10 years after case is closed & appeals are exhausted

Non
Rec
Non

NonNon-Permanent Records
Library Materials:	Effective Date: 9/10/08

Book inventories	Until superseded
Circulation/Patron Records                         	1 Day after
materials are returned
Interlibrary Loan Records	7 days after materials are returned unless
there are financial implications
Lost Book Records	Once paid for, retained for six months in patron history
 Collection agency

                                                        	7 years if
unpaid
Non
Miscellaneous:
Bulletins	30 days after obsolescence

Correspondence (Executive)
Form Files	Until expiration
Inventories	Until superseded
Job Descriptions	Until superseded or classification abolished
                             Effective Date: 9/10/08
We are looking to revise it also.  the Ohio HIstorical Society has a
better example on the website under Local Government Records Program.
E-mail Judy Walker jwwalker at ohiohistory.org for the example.  I hope
this help. Marsha Wagner

--
Marsha Wagner
Library Director M. L. S. 1981

Books are the treasured wealth of the world and the fit inheritance of
generations and nations.

Henry David Thoreau