[OPLINLIST] We are the risk-takers

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jul 3 13:20:23 EDT 2013

I’m a risk-taker. I turn on the TV and watch shows I’ve never seen before , hoping they’ll be entertaining. I eat at restaurants without reading all their Yelp reviews . I run web searches without knowing the results ahead of time . I even go to library conference sessions without knowing exactly what I’ll learn .

How can I be so reckless? The risk is pretty sma ll, really. For an hour of my time, I might find what I’m looking for in a meal or a show or a session. If I pay attention, I might make unexpected discoveries, too. We’re in a profession where being willing to ask questions and take small risks is part of the job.

The ALA Virtual Conference is this kind of risk. No matter how many times you read the session descriptions or look up the speakers or read about this year’s ALA Conference , you can’t be sure that the Virtual Conference sessions will deliver what you’re looking for. But if you’re willing to give it a try, you’ll come away with new ideas.

Whether you come for two hours or the full two days, join us for the ALA Virtual Conference, here at SWON, July 24 & 25 . You’ll learn what people are working on and what they’re passionate about, and you’ll get to share what you’re working on and what you want to learn with the people in the room. You can risk it . Sign up here: http://tiny.cc/alavirtual2013

-- Nathan Swartzendruber, SWON Technology Educator
RDA Original Cataloging Class

We’ve added some seats to SWON’s “RDA for Copy Catalogers” class, which had sold out. SWON is also offering an “RDA Original Cataloging” class, August 12th, which also has openings. There, you’ll get hands-on practice using RDA and ALA’s RDA Toolkit, especially tuned for those doing original cataloging. Register for the RDA Original Cataloging class here: http://tiny.cc/rda_orig_cat
To catch one of the remaining seats at the RDA for Copy Catalogers class, click here: http://tiny.cc/rda_copy_cat

Connect to SWON online: Website : Calendar : Facebook : Twitter

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks.

    * SWON Office Closed - (7/4/2013)
    * The Manager’s Guide to Overcoming Barriers to Execution - (7/9/2013) - Online
    * ROYAL Review (SIG) Meeting - (7/9/2013) - SWON Conference Room
    * ROYAL Review (SIG) Meeting - (7/9/2013) - Boone County PL, Main Branch
    * Level-Up Lab: LinkedIn - (7/11/2013) - SWON Conference Room
    * Emerging Technologies in Libraries, Part 1 - (7/11/2013) - Online
    * Ethnic Librarians and Staff (SIG) Meeting - (7/12/2013) - Steely Library at NKU
    * RDA for Copy Catalogers - (7/15/2013) - Galen College of Nursing
    * Everyday Library Ethics, Part 1 - (7/16/2013) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463