[OPLINLIST] Practice, practice, practice

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jul 24 11:35:58 EDT 2013

Conceptually, the differences between MARC and BIBFRAME are
straightforward enough. MARC requires a complete record for each work in
the catalog. All the information is in one place, but creating records
may duplicate information already present in the system. BIBFRAME, on
the other hand, builds relationships between multiple records to
complete the picture.

That sounds just fine, but I was at SWON’s “RDA for Copy Catalogers”
class, and I got a glimpse at how much distance there is between the
concept and the practice. (Hats off to all you who do cataloging.)
Moving to RDA is going to take some practice.

Hands-on practice is an important part of SWON’s upcoming “RDA Original
Cataloging” class. You’ll get some great resources from Roman Panchyshyn
and access to ALA’s RDA Toolkit. You’ll also have exercises to work
through and plenty of opportunities to ask questions. Come see RDA at
work on August 12, from 9-3 at the Galen College of Nursing. Register
here: http://tiny.cc/rda_orig_cat

    Reading the Meter on Picture Book Read-In

The book lists are in, and five library systems are sending over 1,600
books to this year’s Picture Book Read-In, coming up on August 9th. This
includes 1,400 fiction titles, like you would have seen at previous
Read-Ins.

Libraries have also set aside almost 250 non-fiction/Common Core titles
for you to peruse, and we’ll have a program about assessing a book for
Common Core compliance and putting together Common Core book kits. So a
big thanks to Boone, Campbell, Clermont, Kenton, and PLCH for sending so
many books. Put yourself on our list by registering here:
http://tiny.cc/2013pbri

Connect to SWON online: Website <http://www.swonlibraries.org/> :
Calendar <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventcalendar.asp> : Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/SWONLibraries?sk=wall> : Twitter
<http://twitter.com/swonlibraries>
Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks. (Please register for online
classes at least two days before they take place.)

  * *Being More Creative at Work
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=584>* -
    (7/25/2013) - Online
  * *Outreach (SIG) Meeting
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=313>* -
    (7/26/2013) - Dayton Metro Library
  * *OLSSI 2013 Conference
    <http://www.olssi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=49&Itemid=65>*
    - (7/28-7/30/2013) - Heidelberg University
  * *Everyday Library Ethics, Part 2
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=585>* -
    (7/30/2013) - Online
  * *Bring the Moon’s “Life Story” to Children Ages 8-13 (NASA)
    <http://www.lpi.usra.edu/education/explore/lib_trainings/webinar_31jul2013/>*
    - (7/31/2013) - Online
  * *Emerging Technologies in Libraries, Part 2
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=586>* - (8/1/2013)
  * *Ethnic Librarians & Staff (SIG) Meeting
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=400>* - (8/2/2013)
  * *Fundraising in Your Community: Simple Ideas for Raising Thousands
    <http://oh.evanced.info/swon/lib/eventsignup.asp?ID=587>* -
    (8/6/2013) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463