[OPLINLIST] Library-tested. You-approved?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jun 5 12:49:06 EDT 2013

Keeping up with the latest library innovation news is a full-time job. You’d have to read magazines, blogs and books, plus follow email lists and people on Twitter, plus read a variety of newspapers to really stay current. Know who has time to do that? Nobody.

That’s one of the great things about conferences. Speakers bring their work and ideas to you, sometimes from sources you didn’t even know to look for. They won’t all be ideas you can use, but that’s true of all the library news you read. Sometimes an idea jumps you forward. More often, for me, a new idea matches with an old problem or a local need and I can find a next step forward.

Maybe you’re already sold on conferences; it’s just the airfare, hotel, food, registration fees and time away from your desk for a cross-country trek that keeps you away? Let the conference come to you when you join us for the 2013 ALA Virtual Conference. This two-day conference is full of innovative ideas from perspectives throughout the library sphere.

At just $20 for one day or $35 for both days of the conference*, you can afford to come. You can even come just for a couple sessions or both afternoons; we’re glad to welcome you to whichever sessions fit your schedule. We’ll meet in our conference room at SWON, which has 18 seats. Reserve your seat today. Find session descriptions and more at the Virtual Conference website .

Thanks,
Nathan Swartzendruber
SWON Technology Educator

(* $20/$35 pricing is for Supporting Members. Geographic Member pricing is $30 for one day, $50 for both days.)
ALAO Diversity Spring Workshop

Learn how your colleagues are promoting diversity in their libraries at this day-long workshop, June 14, in Columbus. This workshop will be especially useful if your library has a diversity committee or is interested in starting one. Learn more and register here.

We’re excited to bring a new Follett discount to SWON Supporting Members. The full details require a bit of explanation, but the short version is that discounts start at 2% off print and ebook titles and can increase on volume purchases. This discount is now active. To learn more, contact Melanie at melanie at swonlibraries.org .
What do you want to Level Up?

Due to low registration, next week’s Level-Up Lab on Publisher has been cancelled . Would you like to learn about Publisher at a different time? Is there a different application, online service or device you’d like to use better? Tell me about it at nathan at swonlibraries.org . We’re here to help!
Connect to SWON online: Website : Calendar : Facebook : Twitter

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks.

    * PLCH’s 41st Annual Friends Book Sale - (6/1 to 6/7/2013) - PLCH Main Branch, Downtown
    * Library Directors/Personnel Directors (SIG) Meeting - (6/6/2013) - SWON’s office in Blue Ash
    * Get Over Yourself! Improving Your Library’s Online Presence - (6/6/2013) - Online
    * Ethnic Librarians & Staff (SIG) Meeting - (6/7/2013) - UC Blue Ash
    * Adult Planning & Services (APS SIG) Meeting - (6/10/2013) - Dayton Metro, Main Library
    * Virtual Learning for Your Library - (6/11/2013) - Online
    * Customer Service Recovery: What to Do When We Fail Our Customers - (6/13/2013) - Online
    * CLEAR: Children’s Literature Evaluation and Review (SIG) Meeting - (6/13/2013) - Kenton County, Covington Branch
    * SWON Executive Board Meeting - (6/14/2013) - Rookwood Tower
    * CLEAR: Children’s Literature Evaluation and Review (SIG) Meeting - (6/14/2013) - SWON’s office in Blue Ash
    * ALAO Diversity Spring Workshop - (6/14/2013) - OHIONET in Columbus
    * The Nonverbal Pitfalls and Perks of the Interviewing Process - (6/18/2013) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org
10250 All
Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463