[OPLINLIST] Is that my catalog?

SWON Info info at swonlibraries.org
Wed Jun 19 12:34:08 EDT 2013

When a patron asks for “Pride and Prejudice,” what do they want? The book? The movie? They said movie but really meant the TV mini-series? They said the Harold Bloom-edited critical edition but forgot to ask for the updated 2007 copy? Having every edition and every expression of a work listed separately makes sense from an itemization standpoint, it can sure be a hassle to people (like librarians) who use catalogs.
RDA changes the focus of records to user-tasks to determine the important attributes and relationships that should be in a bibliographic description: finding, identifying, selecting, and obtaining the DVDs or print copy or graphic novel.
Under FRBR, a single search for “Pride and Prejudice” would list all of the expressions of that work that I’ve mentioned (and zombies) in one place. Think of the opportunities that single listing opens to an Austen fan. All I have to do is find my way to “Pride and Prejudice” and I’ve discovered a web of interesting works.
Discover how RDA works at SWON’s “RDA for Copy Catalogers” class , July 15th from 9 to 3 p.m. You’ll get a proper introduction to RDA and get hands-on practice as we use ALA’s RDA Toolkit . With our instructor, Roman Panchyshyn, with us for the day, you’ll have time to ask the questions and see the examples that help you get ready for RDA.
RDA is coming. We’re here to help you be ready. Register here: http://tiny.cc/rda_copy_cat
Nathan Swartzendruber
SWON Libraries Technology Educator

SWON Webinars = Free Webinars

Need to lessen your stress ? Give your PR a boost ? Catch up on mobile tech trends ? Through July 31st, webinars offered at SWON’s calendar are free to Supporting Members. So look through our list of webinars and get signed up.
Connect to SWON online: Website : Calendar : Facebook : Twitter

Calendar excerpts from the next two weeks.

    * Third Annual International Conference on Information and Religion - (6/19-22/2013) - Charlotte, NC
    * Do It Yourself Public Relations - (6/20/2013) - Online
    * Ethnic Librarians and Staff (SIG) Meeting - Rescheduled - (6/21/2013) - Operation Give Back in Blue Ash
    * Get Focused! Work Less, Accomplish More and Have More Fun! - (6/25/2013) - Online
    * Taking the First Steps to Being a Respected Manager or Supervisor - (6/27/2013) - Online
    * ALA Annual Conference - (6/27-7/2/2013) - Chicago
    * Distributed Leadership - (7/2/2013) - Online
    * Yes, You’ve Got It! Now Change - (7/2/2013) - Online

SWON Libraries - http://www.swonlibraries.org

10250 Alliance Road, Suite 225

Blue Ash, OH 45242
phone (513) 751-4422 - fax (513) 751-0463