[OPLINLIST] Opinions and experiences wanted: Hiring a library tech

Laura Solomon laura at oplin.org
Thu Jun 20 14:20:48 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I am interested in finding out more about how libraries go about hiring technology staff. I'm looking for any/all of the following :

    * Opinions about what makes a good/bad tech hire
    * Issues you have run into when hiring a tech
    * Any procedural changes you have made because of a particular hire or experience
    * Stories, both bad AND good, about your experiences working with tech staff
    * If you're a current tech, I'd love to know what YOU think makes a good tech hire, and what advice you'd give to non-tech administrators who have to do the hiring
    * Any advice, from either the tech or non-tech perspectives, that you would give to someone hiring a library tech.

You can respond to either/both the OPLINLIST and OPLINTECH listservs, or to me directly if you'd prefer not to send to a group. All names and information will remain confidential; please don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide me!

Laura

--

Laura Solomon, MCIW, MLS
Library Services Manager , Ohio Public Library Information Network (OPLIN)